A friend of mine had a baby the other day. The baby was rather early and weighed a petite 5lb1oz but is an absolutely gorgeous and healthy little man. Seeing pictures of him on Facebook made my mind wander back to my own newborns, particularly when the triplets were born since of course they were my smallest babies. (Read about the triplet’s birth story)
Having a newborn in your life is such a special time of life. The long lingering moments you spend just staring at the new life lying before you. The awe as you contemplate that a tiny human was once nestled within someone’s (or your own!) tummy. The snuggles as that precious bundle falls asleep on your chest. The wonder of siblings as they meet a person who will forever change their life.
It’s also a tiring time for the family as late night feedings begin and the weariness of finding a rhythm with the newest addition to the family. And if there are cholic and reflux in the equation or other such newborn maladies, well life is all the more complex.
I love getting gifts for newborns. The mixture of a gift celebrating a new life beginning and comfort because life isn’t easy makes giving at this time delightful.
Gifts I have given newborns include:
- A special money box with a name engraved on it.
- Fine china child’s plate
- Melamine Peter Rabbit gift set
- Board books. (This is a good one for new parents who often do not have a library for the child yet.)
- Clothing, but I’m always careful to do the math and make sure the size will be for the appropriate season.
- Clothes in larger sizes (eg. size 1. Not only does it not matter what season it is if it’s size 1, sometimes I buy the gift and then it takes me forever to give it away to the recipient, in which case, I know it’s still going to fit by the time I finally do!)
PS. It seems that some people have difficulties leaving comments on my blog. Feel free to head to my Facebook page and leave a comment there…